Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

WRESTLING WITH GOD


Genesis 32:21-32  records the time Jacob wrestled with God. As he prayed, God's presence became so real to him until suddenly He was real. If he let go, God would leave his prayers unanswered. The struggle lasted all night. In His grace and mercy, God allowed him to work out his fleshly nature and anxieties. 
The turning point came when God touched him in the hollow of his thigh, dislocating the ball-and-socket joint. Wailing in pain, Jacob stops wrestling and starts clinging to God. He wouldn't let go until God blessed him.
God gave him a new name (Israel), a new nature, and the assurance to help him conquer the baser elements in his character. Now, that's a blessing. Afterwards, he walked with a limp, a weaker man, yet stronger.
2 Corinthians 12:9,10 . . . for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. . . . for when I am weak, then am I strong.
When we surrender our lives, our wills, our dreams, and schemes to the Lordship of Christ, He gives us a new nature, destiny, and a secure future.