Pages

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Love Your Enemies?

Christians are called to live a life above and beyond the norm, like being kind to people who treat us badly, loving those who do not love us back, and forgiving those who offend us. It isn't easy.
Matthew 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you and persecute you.
Many years ago a doctor in a large hospital hired me for a secretarial position. My supervisor and others harassed me because the girl who worked there a long time didn't get the job.  
Five years later I complained to the union, and my supervisor had to write me a letter of apology. It was a government job.
I transferred to another department, but resentment for that woman robbed me of peace with God.
One day I had to take a report to the same lady. As I reluctantly rode the elevator down, I prayed, "Lord, help me to love her."
I'm always amazed how God can change a heart on the spot. Our pleasant encounter was God's doing as was the grudge boulder that rolled off my shoulders.