Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Are you a cheerful giver? My folks taught me to give a tenth...

...of any money to the church. I seldom got money, but when I did I gave a dime on a dollar or a nickle for fifty cents. Each spring some of my brothers and sisters and I jumped on a board-sided truck with several others at six a.m. and went to a farm to pick strawberries with Mexicans. I made enough to buy a few firecrackers after giving ten percent to the church. 
A few years later I attended a camp meeting where they passed the plate and were unhappy with the collection. After scolding the congregation, they passed it again. God loves a cheerful giver. Giving is a personal matter of worship, and nobody should snatch your tithes and offerings. God wants you to tithe, but he wants you to do it willingly because you love Him.
Malachi 3:8,10 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In Tithes and offerings.
Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven and pour you out a blessing that there shall not be room enough to receive it.